Who We Are
Friends of Riding Mountain National Park is a non-profit organization, committed to increasing awareness and appreciation of the natural and cultural heritage of Riding Mountain National Park. Through innovative programming in partnership with Parks Canada and other like-minded organizations, Friends of Riding Mountain National Park provide valuable educational opportunities that inspire environmental stewardship.
There are similar organizations associated with National Parks throughout Canada.
Riding Mountain National Park is a unique sanctuary that provides a wide range of outdoor recreational opportunities in both developed and natural settings. It is the purpose of the Friends Of Riding Mountain National Park organization, through education, to preserve this environment and promote greater involvement and commitment of visitors in the wise and proper use of the park.
To foster public appreciation, understanding and stewardship of the natural and cultural heritage of Riding Mountain National Park. To inspire visitors and local residents to assume personal and collective responsibility for the preservation of the Park’s natural and cultural environment.
What do we do?
Over the years Friends has contributed to the well being of Riding Mountain National Park in countless ways!
• As a non-profit organization, to generate revenue, we operate the Friends of RMNP Learning Centre (154 Columbine Street) which is our year-round office and education location.
• We operate a Junior Naturalist Program for children ages 5 to 12 during the summer months. This programs offers hands-on learning while in the great outdoors.
• We raise money for research. Our current projects include the South Gate rehabilitation project and the Park’s Grey wolf research.
• Our Adopt-an-Animal program raises money for research and public education programs.
• Friends hosts special events within Riding Mountain National Park such as Canada Day, Parks Day, Friends Fright Night and the Riding Mountain Loppet.
• Friends has partnered with the Riding Mountain Biosphere Reserve to off a geocaching program called Caching Riding Mountain – a GPS based learning experience and entertaining adventure activity highlighting the people, places and heritage of Riding Mountain Biosphere Reserve and its core area, Riding Mountain National Park.
What are our goals?
Friends Of Riding Mountain National Park has many goals, all related to the preservation and promotion of Riding Mountain National Park. These include:
• Continued research and development of educational and retail materials related to the Park’s mandate.
• Continued development of the Nature Shop, our retail sales outlet located in the Visitor Centre, our Solstice Spa outlet at the Elkhorn Resort and Conference Centre and the Friends of RMNP Learning Centre.
• Junior Naturalist and Young Explorers education programs, along with our L’il Critter Camp summer program.
• Promotion of winter use and enjoyment of the Park.
Would you like to help us?
Our goals cannot be accomplished without the efforts of many volunteers who work on committees and help to educate the public on the values of conservation and proper use of the Park
2. Become a Volunteer! The more helping hands we have, the more we can accomplish and What could be more rewarding?
3. Become a Board member! Join dedicated members of the Riding Mountain National Park community in planning Friends activities and the organization’s future.
4. Make a Donation! Tax-deductible receipts are issued for $10.00 or more.
5. Sponsor an Event! Sponsorship is an economical form of advertising your business.